Please refer to the Technical Specifications document to understand the requirements for the online exams: https://icbhelpdesk.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/9000196144?portalId=9000040355
The student needs to make sure that the network type, connectivity and speed meet the requirements for exam day as per the Technical specifications. If you are a college student, your college needs to meet the same requirements.
The recommended network connection for the online exam is a a w
This refers to a DSL/ADSL/Fibre connection where your device is connected directly to your ADSL or FIBRE router via network cable and you are using this connectivity for the exam.
The recommended line speed for the online exam is 5 Mbps download speed for the duration of the exam per person, provided that you are using the recommended connection of DSL/ADSL/Fibre network cable
*** Please make sure that you are using the fixed line connectivity option - check this on your device.***
If you are NOT using the above recommended network type, your connection to your device will not be fixed for the duration of the exam - meaning that it is not constant and will have dips during the exam.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. The online exam is completely voluntarily and students who are not able to meet the recommended requirement, do not have to participate in the online exam.
2. The required line speed for the recommended fixed line network connection is 5Mbps download speed.
3. Any other network connections related to Wifi or Wireless are not recommended and used at own risk.
4. No mobile related connection can be used for the exam and is used at own risk.
5. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all the above listed specified technical and connection requirements are met. Should a student still be disrupted, they may only apply for mitigation for circumstances beyond the scope of the technical specifications. Please see the ICB Exam Policy for details.
WHAT AGENTS MAY NEED FROM YOU TO CHECK IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO A RECOMMENDED NETWORK:
1. What network type are you using: ADSL / DSL / FIBRE / Mobile Hotspot / LTE / If other - be specific
2. How are you connected: via Wifi / Network cable
3. Please run a speed test and send us a screen shot: https://www.speedtest.net/
4. Picture of the router or device you are using to connect to the internet (if applicable)
5. Evidence of the internet package you are using with your internet service provider (if applicable)
- You can contact your service provider and ask them to send you the information.
This will allow the agents to assist you effectively. Please remember to contact the ICB agents via the CHAT function on Macci if you are struggling for longer than a few minutes.
This is an example of what a DSL/ADSL and FIBRE network connection looks like. This is the recommended network type for the online exam. The minimum download speed required for this connection type is 5Mbps
OTHER WAYS OF CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET THAT CANNOT BE USED FOR THE ONLINE EXAM:
NOTE THAT THESE ARE ONLY SOME EXAMPLES AND THERE ARE MANY OTHER TYPES THAT ARE NOT SHOWN HERE. ANY CONNECTION THAT IS NOT THE "RECOMMENDED CONNECTION" WILL HAVE ISSUES FOR THE ONLINE EXAM.
This includes but is not limited to:
- LTE routers
- Portable routers
- Pocket routers
- Any router that requires a USB mobile data inserted
- Any router that requires mobile sim data inserted
- Any Wifi / Wireless connection types
Examples of network connection types that are not recommended. This is not a list of every other option available but only examples of some of these.
If you are unsure of what connectivity your have or need to upgrade - speak to your Internet Service Provider for assistance.