TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS FOR ONLINE EXAMS
Internet line speed
5 Mbps minimum download speed for the duration of the exam PER PERSON. Do a speed test or Check in with your ISP if you are unsure of your speed. (ISP = Internet Service Provider)
At least between 3 - 5 gb of data for the exam duration.
Desktop or Laptop
Fully charged if laptop - (Tablets and mobile phones are not permitted)
Only ONE screen allowed
No headphones (Unless this is your only working mic)
Basic or Scientific calculator (Not Financial)
Windows 8 or 10
PC user browser
Mac OSX Sierra
Mac user browser
Recommended scanning app
MS Office - Word, PowerPoint, Excel
Must be capable of downloading and opening PDF documents. A PDF reader can be used
In order to enter the online exam room on exam day, you will need to pass two system checks to ensure that we can digitally invigilate your exam. You will not be allowed access to the online exam if your system does not pass the online exam system checks. This is an automatic process and cannot be bypassed.
Technical System check prior to the Exam:
- Must be completed at least 48 hours prior to the exam.
- Must be completed on the same device and network that you will be using for your online exam.
- Can be done as many times as is needed (doing this again on the morning of the exam is a good idea)
- Step by Step instructions can be found in this article: How to do Technical checks before exam day
- Checks for the following functionality for online exams at the time of the system check
1. Are your camera and mic permissions allowed and functional at the time of the system check.
2. Is your camera able to record an image at the time of the system check.
3. Do you have an internet connection at the time of the system check
4. Does your device have the ability to stream a recording at the time of the system check.
- Does not check for the following:
- Whether you are using the recommended network connectivity with the required internet speed to stream the recording of the exam on exam day as per the Technical specifications provided.
- Whether you have enough data to complete the online exam as per the Technical specifications provided.
- Even if these checks are passed, it does not guarantee that you will be able to run the exam on exam day. The student needs to make sure that the network type, connectivity and speed meet the requirements for exam day. Adequate streaming capability cannot be checked by the Technical System Check as this check is only a few minutes and the exam is a few hours.
- If you are unable to complete the Technical System check prior to the exam on the device you will be using for the exam, an indemnity form has been provided on the PoE that can be completed. This is only to be used in exceptional cases where students cannot run this check prior to the exam. Please make sure you read the terms and conditions provided in the indemnity
Technical System check on Exam Day:
- Our exam papers are set for 3 hours. But, the exam session is opened 1/2 hour early at 1pm so that the first 30 minutes can be used for setup. The exam session is therefore 3.5hrs long in total (ie 1pm to 4.30pm) The first 30 minutes are provided for technical checks and reading of instructions.
- The Technical System Check completed on exam day to participate in the online exam on checks the following:
- Are your camera and mic permissions allowed and functional on exam day.
- Is your camera able to record an image on exam day.
- Do you have the recommended internet network connection and speed as per the Technical specifications on exam day. (This has to meet all the requirements as per the Technical Specifications)
- Does your device have the ability to stream a recording using the recommended connectivity type as per the Technical specifications on exam day.
- The ICB exam does not have a threshold on the number of students who are able to participate in an online exam on any given exam day. The system is stress tested prior to every online exam.
- If a student is unable to connect to the exam or is disconnected from the exam they need ensure they are using the recommended network connectivity as per the Technical specifications.
- Remember, even if you pass the system checks at the beginning, it does not guarantee that you will not have dips in the connection. And just because your connection has worked previously, it does not guarantee that it will work under these conditions for the full exam session.
- Students must contact the ICB Support team via the CHAT function on Macci if they are struggling for more than a few minutes.
3. Troubleshooting connectivity
One of the biggest obstacles with Digital invigilation is maintaining the right level of connectivity to stream the exam. If you are having any issues with connectivity, these tips may help:
- Restart your device and router before the exam session.
- Double check that all other applications on your device are completely closed. Some of these run in the background and use bandwidth. (ie email, WhatApp etc)
- Close all other tabs in your browser.
- If you are at home, make sure no-one else in the house is using the connection during your exam session.
NB: Save this link: Instructions on how to do troubleshooting on exam day:
5. Clearing of cookies and global Chrome settings BEFORE THE EXAM
Students must ensure that the cookies in the Chrome browser are cleared and that their global Chrome third party settings are allowed before they enter the exam on exam day.
This will ensure that there are no permission blocks in the back end of their browser that could block the entry to the exam room at any stage during the exam session.
Please see instructions below on how to clear cookies.