As with the article on “How to do your own back up”, it is important that your system is updated whenever possible.
This article is specifically aimed at Windows 8-10 operating systems, a separate KB article will be published for Windows 7.
The importance of Windows Updates is to make sure any vulnerability (security risks), compatibility or stability issues Microsoft has identified and fixed is applied to your system.
**Important: If you are using a mobile data connection please do the update check only when you are in the office or if you are connected to an uncapped connection such as Fibre or ADSL , some updates can be close to 3 GB**
**Important: Make sure all work is saved and closed before starting the process below***
Steps to get the updates (steps 1-3 only needs to be done once):
1. It is important to make sure your system can be recovered should anything go wrong. Firstly search “control panel” in your start menu and open it. Click on "System".
2. Once the System window is opened click on “System Protection” as indicated by the arrow in the picture below.
3. If the "Local Disk C:" is turn “On” as (highlighted) in Figure 1., you can ignore steps below and move to step 4. If it is off please do steps below:
a. Click on “Configure…”
b. After the system protection window pops up, click “ Turn on system protection”, then click OK. Click OK and any other Windows still open to close them.
4. Next go back to your start menu and search “settings”. Open settings and you will see the window below:
5. In the settings Window click “Update and Security”. In the Updates and Security window it should go to “Windows Updates” automatically. If you click “Check for updates” and it tell you are up to date then you do not have to do anything further.
6. If updates are found you, can now download and install them. Please note as mentioned earlier make sure all work is saved and closed as your system will restart a few times.
- The Windows Update process may take a long time, dependent on the internet connection speed and the amount of updates that needs to be done on the system.
- Make sure your laptop is plugging in to charge while the update process is happening.
- Once the updates have started to install and your PC is restarting, under no circumstances are you to stop, restart or shut down your PC. Windows will restart by itself. Doing anything to interrupt the installation can corrupt Windows.
- You will know once the system is finished when you get back to the log in screen